Purpose/ Mission Statement:
National Alliance of Wound Care and Ostomy® (NAWCO) is dedicated to the advancement and promotion of excellence in the delivery of wound care and ostomy to the consumer through credentialing proficiency of health care practitioners.
The mission of the National Alliance of Wound Care and Ostomy is to develop and administer a certification process of the highest standard to measure knowledge mastery of wound care and ostomy management.
NAWCO® is the credentialing body of the WCC®, DWC®, OMS, LLE®, WPC® AWCC®, and NWCC™ credentials. The organization’s objectives are to:
- Establish guidelines and standards of excellence for certification and recertification in wound care and ostomy.
- Continually review and modify established certification standards with the advancement of current wound care and ostomy practices.
- Award certification to candidates who meet eligibility and testing requirements.
- Monitor, maintain, analyze and provide security of test design and results.
- Maintain an active certificant database.
- Oversee certificant standards through a governing body including ethics, responsibilities, and professional standards associated with certification privileges.
- Promote continuing education for certificants.
- Promote and support educational programs for consumers and other healthcare clinicians.
- Promote excellence in wound care and ostomy to the consumer by collaborating with national health care organizations in the development of education, programs, and quality assurance guidelines.
NAWCO Certification Philosophy:
Certification is a voluntary process and principal method by which a profession gives formal recognition to an individual who has demonstrated competence in a defined area of specialization. NAWCO certification examinations are designed to test for special knowledge in wound care and ostomy management and recognize the professionals’ expertise and proficiency. Each licensed clinician is governed by state licensing boards which award specific licensure. As a credentialing board, NAWCO does not carry licensing authority.
NAWCO is a non-profit organization, governed by a voluntary Board of Directors. Through its credentialing board, NAWCO offers the WCC, DWC, OMS, LLE, AWCC, and NWCC Certifications.
Today, the certificants of NAWCO make up the largest and fastest growing group of certified wound care and ostomy professionals in the United States.
National Alliance of Wound Care and Ostomy
11817 Crestview Blvd., Kokomo, IN 46901